Return to main kite page         Return to home/index page            Kite bridle dimensions       
     

KITE GALLERY

Pictures of kites I have made

My first revolution kite made out of Marai ripstop nylon based on the Revolution SLE  circa March 2012

I made a plain kite to learn the techniques in making kites

What I did not realise was that the SLE had a built in curve on the leading edge. As I was a novice at flying revolution kites the finesse of a curved leading edge made very little difference to the way I flew it

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I then decided to make a set of 3 kites based on the Queens Jubilee  Circa May 2012

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I then ended up with 3 kites plain, single vent and double vent

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Also trying a little applique on the way

All these kites are mde out of Marai ripstop nylon as it is much cheaper than the very light material that Revolution kites are normally made out of ie Icarix

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 I then made 2 more Jubilee kites with the idea of stacking all 5 kites but the most I can manage in a moderate breeze with any sort of control is 3 kites.

I have since found out that the Revolution kite used for stacking are what they call the B2 which is a scaled down version of the full sized ones I am using. The sail area is probably half of the full size one. My plan is to cut these down to B2 size at a later date.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

        

Having some material left over I made 2 Rokkaku (Rok) 1.2m kites. This was to practice applique

 

APPLIQUÉ  EXPLAINED

         

The picture on the left shows the front of the kite. The picture n the left shows the back of the kite. The method is to sew the black dragon onto a full white background and then on the reverse you cut the white material back to the stitch line to expose the black dragon on the reverse. This is done with a very small pair of scissors with a sliding pushing motion to slit the material along the stitch. See below

 

               

The round central panel before sewing to the outer panels being applique'd. The black dragon was stuck on with Pritt stick which can be easily washed off after the operation. Some people use PVA glue as this too can be washed out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

                          

I have started making my own Indian style fighter kites out of paper and nylon but find them very hard to tune. I have started to split my own bamboo  and whittle it down to shape for the spars this may be part of the problem as they are hard to balance. A good web site for all things fighter kite is www.fighterkitecentral.com where there is all you need to know about making many different designs of fighter kite and the many techniques involved. Including how to work bamboo.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

As I seem to have become adequate at this applique business I am making the kite above which is not quite finished hence the baggy look. Hopefully if my accountant (The wife)  will release the funds this will be the last kite made out of ripstop nylon and I will start to make a set of kites from Icarix Just got to earn some brownie points                                   

Note added - This kite flies superbly and is the best one yet. Looks great when flying

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------